Friday 31 July 2020

What does a novice walker look like who is all over the place and not up to it?

On my second visit to Knoydart, to climb the Corbetts in four days backpacking, I was starting off and, clearly looked very unsure as to what on earth I was doing.  I was on a route that very few walkers use and in sight of people sitting outside their cottage on a glorious evening.  I was walking slowly and looking around me, comparing what I saw to the map, to make sure that I turned off the track in the right place.  I even stopped to take a layer of clothing off.  One of the distant people who were watching me, came over on a farmer's buggy and asked if I was OK or wanted any help.  He never said,
"You look unsure of where to go, sunshine.  Are you lost?"
"I'm fine thanks.  I've been advised on this way up into the hills for my outward journey.  I'm bivvying out tonight and camping out the rest of the week."

John Harrold, Director, Snowdonia Society wants more sustainable transport.
Yomping over the hills.  Red flag that tells you they haven't got a clue.  What3Words app.  Call us if you don't know what you're doing.  Don't know what they are getting into.  Haven't got a clue.

Adventure Smart    discombobulated - fun, fancy word for 'confuse'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment