BE A PROPER PATRIOT, MAN AND SAY AMEN TO THIS https://twitter.com/BorisJo.../status/1438910777117880324...
Tuesday, 21 September 2021
Monday, 20 September 2021
- destroying urban railway lines;
- converting some closed railway lines to tramways, as light rail;
- running homes, shops, offices down them instead of, so 19th century, railway trains;
- in Dudley, turning 2 Kms into a Very Light Rail test track on the UK's last but still existing principal, mainline railway;
- turning two more nibble sized sections on Derby, Dudley, Devon principal mainline into a light rail tramway;
- permanently closed a major vehicle and bus underpass for a tramway at Brum Five Ways;
- permanently closed Broad Street to buses and bikes - for trams, only;
- turned roads and railways into HR, LR, VLR and now, possibly, ULR (ultra-light rail) on part of the 120 Kms Black Country Railway!
This is Disintegrated Transport and Foolish Transport!
On Sun, 19 Sept 2021 at 10:22, Ian Shires <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the concept of an integrated public transport system. The issue is how it's promoted and consulted upon and that is a product of the current Local Government system which has evolved out of the 2000 Act and left us with a top down process that.lacks true devolution and transparency leading to an ill informed general public. Very ill-informed councillors and MPs, in fact who don't seem to care. (Tim Weller).On Sat, 18 Sept 2021 at 09:04, Tim Weller <email@example.com> wrote:Thanks, David. You are right! This is is absurd, scandalous and immoral spending for "bus on rails" trams, First Class Sprint buses, Second Class Platinum buses all on Hagley Road, with cars, trucks, vans and lorries! The authorities are escalating us to catastrophe with greenhouse gases led ecocide.Never any consultation or the slightest whisper of even giving a nod towards following the correct democratic procedure for councillors to discuss, debate and vote on all this wasteful, stupid expenditure of taxpayers' money.Derby to Devon via Dudley principal mainline railway continues to get destroyed with two further nibble sized sections being converted to "bus on rails" tramway! Incompetent idiocy is no exaggeration.Tim WellerOn Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 21:25, David G wrote:
Yet they are already planning a Sprint bus down hagley Road? Will they have both?
No consultation about any of these plans that I am aware of? Undemocratic!!
Dear friends and comrades
JOHNSON FLYING TO UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY MEETING
Harrabin report on 19 September 2021 on Radio 4, 2200 hrs 'News'
"The stakes in New York are almost indescribably high because nations are falling way behind on emission cuts. Scientists say to avoid the worst impacts of global heating, annual carbon emissions must be almost halved by 2030. The latest UN analysis shows current international policies are actually projected to rise over that period leading to a temperature increase of around 3 C above pre-industrial times. To put that in context, with a temperature rise of just one degree C at present the world has suffered deadly heat, wildfires and floods.
"Mr Johnson will attempt to persuade the current number one polluter, China to quicken its timetable for reducing emissions, even though its the rich nations with their historic emissions that bear most responsibility for climate change, so far. Mr Johnson must also form policies to ensure carbon cuts in the UK. Britain is the leader on target setting on climate change but a recent report showed it produced fewer than a quarter of the policies needed to deliver on its own goals. Meanwhile, Mr Johnson is planning policies that will increase emissions, such as HS2 and the £27 billion programme of new roads and, cuts in taxes on aviation."
Saturday, 18 September 2021
Here is the submission from Birmingham and West Midlands Left Unity to the WMCA on what it should be doing to combat climate change.
"As internationalists and socialists who are concerned for the future of humanity and, in fact, all of nature, we note:
1) Abnormally and record high temperatures in western N America, with wildfires out of control, and more recently as seen in Turkey, Greece, Italy and Spain.
2) Disturbed weather patterns and extreme weather events since Wednesday have killed over a hundred in western Europe, with a similar number missing.
3) Extreme weather and further eco damage will continue to have a detrimental impact upon specific groups experiencing health and other socially related issues.
4) Since 1988, the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), has consistently warned of such events from the burning of finite fossil fuels that is changing dangerously, the chemical composition of the atmosphere that allows life on earth.
5) Therefore, we appeal to the WMCA to act as though they are taking the climate emergency seriously by now moving to a rapid reduction of fossil fuel use that includes minimising fossil fuel travel and spending and, in every other way minimising our impact on ailing life support systems.
This should be done by:
a) Replacing waste incineration with organic digestion.
b) Introducing Fare Free Public Transport.
c) Introducing rapid and massive home and building insulation.
d) Scrapping new road building schemes.
e) Scrapping HS2.
f) Ending aviation expansion.
g) Fostering alternative and diverse modes of travel, including walking, cycling, and scootering, rather than having an over-reliance on carbon-thirsty private transport.
h) Supporting the expansion of electric charging points to aid reduction of fossil fuel use.
i) Supporting divestment from fossil fuels by the WMCA.
j) Public transport needs to be frequent, ubiquitous, and accessible, as well as free at the point of use.
6) We approve of the 60 mph speed limit ("for air quality") on the M5 in Oldbury and West Bromwich and we wish this to be extended to cover all of the motorway and road network in our region that is currently 70 mph."
Residents in the West Midlands who have just gained a new job could benefit from free bus, tram and rail travel to work.
Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) has teamed up with local transport operators to offer two four-week tickets free, then a third four-week ticket at a 50 per cent discount from the standard price on selected bus, tram and network travel passes through the Workwise scheme.
The scheme is aimed at giving newly employed people a helping hand into work and you can read more here.
Each "bus on rails" tram is £4 m, compared with an electric bus straight on the roads (without the railway tracks) being £350,000 each. Construction was £75 m/Km for Westside extension; £133 m/Km for Eastside extension. Compare that with Borders Railway in southern Scotland rebuilt and opened 6 yrs ago this month for £7 m/Km over 50 Kms. WMCA/TfWM are into selfish, greedy, self aggrandisement while the poor suffer and even go hungry. Despicable, immoral behaviour by our politicians and officers. PLEASE PROTEST to Ian.Ward@birmingham.gov.uk; MayorsOffice@wmca.org.uk; firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, 17 September 2021
Dear friends - and our Transport representative, Trevor Eames PLEASE RESPOND with your own thoughts/ideas/opinions!
First Class for the Big Four. Second Class for all the other intercity stations missed out but, they must still have a second class service.
BUSES PUSHED OUT onto narrow roads with parked cars and diversions
I have now checked out Broad Street. It really is utterly impossible for buses to use that road ever again. Pavements are widened and, at tram stops, the road is narrowed further. There are two bus shelters opposite Centenary Square but no others until you get to the 'Hagley Rd/Francis Rd bus stop on our, W side of Five Ways. The intention is to take the tram onto Bearwood, along Hagley Road. However, this simply means multi-modal mix up with more changes and delays. And, at the most colossal expense in cost and in weight of greenhouse gases at a time of climate and ecological emergencies that WMCA has declared. The money should be going for electric buses and Fare Free Public Transport for the young and middle aged, to end that discrimination against them.
HS2 goes so fast it flies through the air, like a plane and gives the wealthy sods the choice of either plane or train. BOYCOTT IT! It will reduce overcrowding for those travelling between the Big Four cities but it means:-
First Class for the Big Four. Second Class for all other intercity stations.
I know I am in a very small minority in pointing this out. However, do I have a point?
Dear Peter and Geo
- Insulating or lagging ourselves with layers of clothing when we sit in a smaller rather than larger room.
- That room at a maximum of 20 C with other parts of the house not even heated at all, ideally.
- We know heat rises. Therefore, consider sleeping on the ground floor and living on the first floor.
- Press for small to medium-sized homes for new housing estates with PV on every W, E, S facing slope for the building beneath..
- Encourage small to medium-sized families.
- Press for laws where the wealth of the nation is more evenly distributed, to discourage the rich from walking off with more than their fair share of resources and most responsibility for the climate/ecological emergency. Called levelling up or socialism or basic Gospel teaching!
- Accept that even medium income households are taking more than their fair share of resources and that we all need to tread more lightly on the planet by making do with less, instead of ever more stuff.
- My own home, a 3-storey townhouse, is ideal where my wife and I live on the first floor with one L-shaped dining/living room that means minimum heating is required. Our total energy bills are not much more than £1 a day.
- It is mid-terrace, with a small area of land at the front and back. PV means it is a mini power station, with about 75% exported to the Grid. Giving instead of taking!
- This kind of more simple living is essential if we are to postpone or, ideally reverse the sixth mass extinction episode that we humans are causing to ourselves.
Tuesday, 14 September 2021
Chris Packham could not have spoken a truer word. It makes all our problems worse, intensifies the climate emergency and shouts the lie that it will reduce overcrowding, increasing capacity when it rockets past every intercity station, duplicating plane travel. That is the lie.
It cannot help in lessening the destruction of nature when it is such a heavy-footed and greenhouse gases intensive way of making all our problems worse and speeding us to THE END. HIGH SPEED TO FOUR TERMINUSES. Humans are on track to terminate themselves faster!!
Monday, 13 September 2021
MY JOKE OF THE DAY/WEEK/MONTH/YEAR/DECADE ... ('cos I'm not a great comedian, as you know)
"Building HS2 frees up a massive amount of space on the existing railway by placing long distance services on their own pair of tracks. Once HS2 is operating, services can run much closer together, meaning there can be more rush hour trains, helping to relieve overcrowding.
"Once the full network is operational we expect HS2 trains to carry over 300,000 passengers a day."
What do you do about the many intercity stations, HS2 is too fast to stop at?
Have you thought of that?
Still destroying our principal, mainline railway for 1 million to use - no more left after this. Instead, building High Scandal 2 to bypass every intercity station apart from two airports and 4 terminus stations. WHAT A JOKE!
(Some trains may stop at Crewe and Toton)
Saturday, 11 September 2021
I MUST BE WRONG, AREN'T I?
Is my research correct, here?
Am I right in thinking that High Scandal 2, outside of London, only stops at two airports and the three terminus stations - Brum, Manchester and Leeds? Or, will it stop near to East Midlands Airport, too, as E Mids Hub station? Does it stop at Crewe?
What is the point of spending over £100 billion of greenhouse gases to escalate climate catastrophe, in order to give plane flyers the choice of High Scandal 2 train or plane?
How can passengers be moved to the High Scandal 2 line when it goes so fast it cannot stop at the existing intercity station they might want to get off at?! You will still need the intercity trains, won't you? So what is the point of High Scandal 2?
Meanwhile, the UK's last principal mainline, half used, 120 Kms Black Country Railway gets broken up as part of the Disintegrated Rail Plan into heavy rail, light rail, very light rail and, ultra-light rail on the section in the 1 million population of the Black Country! This means more changes, more delays as you wait around for the next connection and, more complications.
" The government's long-awaited Integrated Rail Plan may be published as part of chancellor Rishi Sunak's autumn Spending Review." from https://www.newcivilengineer.
Tim Weller 0791 380 4363
THE MOST EXPENSIVE LIE, EVER!
The railway industry has fully co-operated with the destruction of between one-third and one-half of the total railway lines that there were built in the UK.
It is a LIE to say that HS2 is needed so that "capacity (is) freed up on the rail network"
Friday, 10 September 2021
Very many thanks, Sophie. Very good to read. However, ...
Another transport/financial scandal is the destruction of the 56 Kms Black Country Railway section of the Derby to Devon via Dudley principal mainline railway. 9 Kms is being given over to the Light Rail, West Midlands Metro (over half a billion pounds) and to a Very Light Rail test track (over £30 m)! 47 Kms will remain unused for passenger trains and a short section used for freight. Another short section might get the Ultra Light Rail shuttle tram. This is on top of six railway lines already destroyed in Dudley borough, alone over the last fifty years! MORE INFO: email@example.com test track (over £30 m)!