Thursday 1 November 2018

The case of the officer suspended for his Facebook posting

Dear Sarah and Peter - and copied to other VIPs, including the two editors of our influential newspapers

I am very concerned that you have suspended an officer who believes that the State of Israel is a racist endeavour.

I have read much over the summer about the claims and some reality of anti-semitism in the Labour Party and in every group in the land, I expect.  I have also read about this year's law passed by the Knesset that means that, at least, some Arabs in Israel are second class citizens, I believe.  Certainly, only Jews from all over the world are gladly welcomed to become full citizens of Israel.  But, I would be glad to be corrected.

More importantly, it seems, we are moving to a society where our personal thoughts are being silenced by the fear of punishment and/or suspension from work.  I have never heard of your officer before.  I don't know him.  I have had nothing to do with his group.  I only believe you have overreacted in suspending him.  Please let us all honestly express our thoughts and to be open to an alternative point of view, without fear of any repercussion.  Discussion and debate must never be stifled.

With best wishes

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment