Wednesday 4 November 2020

Input to the BMC Climate Project

I have just attended my second Zoom BMC Midlands Area meeting.  I think I will be given time to speak, at our next meeting, about my particular interest that is the climate crisis/emergency and what we as individuals can do.  Individual changes I'm suggesting, below rather than waiting for the government to act that never happens.  Or, certainly not in time!


Please read my questions and tell me what you think.  Could you also bring me up to date about what you are doing now?  I was most impressed by what you have written on our website.  Moors for the Future and the impressive list under 'What else?' at:- https://www.thebmc.co.uk/the-bmc-and-climate-change 
  1. Where do you stand over how we all, as hill walkers, climbers and mountaineers, react to the climate emergency?
  2. Should we, individually and as BMC, have a strategy to respond to the December 2018 statement at COP 24 from David Attenborough?  He spoke of the "collapse of civilisations" and "extinction of much of the natural world" and "time is running out" warnings.
  3. How do you respond to a teenager, last year who sailed instead of flying across an ocean to pursue her goal?
  4. How do mountaineers who jet all over the world to climb the high peaks respond to that challenge?!
  5. How do we all walk, climb and run the talk to lessen our impact?
  6. Has anyone else cut their travelling and explored lower hills and new, even remote countryside nearer to home with fewer long-distance expeditions?  I've had great navigation training for remote hillwalking, even in deepest, darkest, rural Worcestershire and Shropshire!
  7. In so doing, has anyone else found wrongly mapped public rights of way and missing or closed footbridges on our OS maps and on the legally enforceable definitive maps?  Report them!
  8. Can access to some crags, hills and countryside be boosted by fossil fuel-free, active travel if all cycle-walkways were upgraded to be free of mud, waterlogging and widened for greater use?
  9. Can more disused railways that can't have their trains back be used for walking/cycling/horse riding, as some are?  To improve access to crag and hill!
  10. I'm cutting down on my car trips and, when I do use the car, I park further away and then mountain bike tracks until I am forced to start the walk for the day.  Only 140 Donalds and 224 Grahams to visit, for a clean sweep of our neighbour's really big hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment