Tuesday 11 November 2014

Superb letter from Tim Willson, dated 13.11.2010

Hi Tim,

Very sorry to hear about your accident. And I hope you get better quickly. Becky has told me about your rib too.

I had a very mixed week of weather in Scotland. I walked from Glenfinnan to Roshven (West coast) via a brilliant ridge line just under the Munro height (highest being Rois-Bheinn if you have done it?). It is the area West of Loch Shiel and is called Moidart. This took three days and was very wet and windy. Actually blowing me off my feet and sending me flying at one point. And I had puddles inside the tent by the second night. But when I could see, the views were pretty spectacular. And I didn't see anyone for the entire time.

I then helped the survival expert Leon with the two day mountain navigation course. We were teaching two people (BA Execs no less) and took them up the slopes of Rois-Bheinn and then across and around this area covered with little lochans (South of Roshven village). We camped on a little peninsula sticking out into a lochan and at night all the stars were reflected into the water. Very beautiful and Quiet.

After the course I got a lift back to Fort William and spent the night in the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel. And because of the weather, heavy snow and 90mph winds, I spent the next day and night there too.

Then Tuesday morning I got off early and walked the Mamores ridge all the way down to camp at a little lochan (750m) at the far end of the ridge which is by a Munro which is by itself (I haven't a map with me so cannot give you a name.  SELF: The Munro was Binnein Mor) I did miss out An Gearach and the other Peak which is to the North of the main ridge and requires a detour. But the snow level was about 600m and it was excellent visibility so the views were spectacular. On Wednesday I climbed the Munro (SELF: Binnein Beag) by my campsite lochan, after defrosting my boots which had frozen solid in the night. Then I climbed up Sgurr Eilde Mor (apologies for spelling from memory) to the South, and dropping down the NE ridge to the Bothy in the valley bottom. After a very chilly river crossing there I followed the river eastward to Loch Treig and then walked up to Corrour Station in tim for the 1830 train to Glasgow and my overnight bus journey back.

The last two days were spectacular, especially wednesday, with 360 degree views of snowy peaks and even the Ben itself was cloud free. Probably the best winter days I have spent up there.

I am now recovering with Becky who made a brilliant apple pie (but not quite as good as my Grandma's). Becky also made the best Chilli con carne with sweet potato mash, and ice cream (written under duress!).

Apologies if I have frustrated you, particularly with news of Becky's cooking! Hope your very well (bar injuries) and I'm sure your keeping busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment