Tuesday 4 November 2014

WAS MY RUCSAC GUARANTEED FOR LIFE - I'm 66, the rucsac is 40?!

Useful feedback on superb Berghaus quality when climbing over 1,000 major summits in the UK and ROI.

Forty years ago, this month, November 1974, I bought a Berghaus 272 rucsac.  I only ever bought three in all those years of climbing and walking in the UK and Ireland but my old rock climbing sac, the 272, is still my favourite.  Still my favourite because it is so very, very light but strong.  I don't use it for backpacking, though and no longer rock climb.

However, the left strap now slips on the metal fastener after tens of thousands of times that it has slid up and down in use.  I now have to use a reef knot to tie the ends of the straps across my chest.

Two safety pins hold together the corner of the pocket on the flap but the holes - friction burns caused by my ice axe rubbing against the nylon when, in the early days, my new Primus stove was being carried - are too small ever to stop me using the sac with a plastic liner.

Could you please replace the two shoulder straps and stitch the corner pocket?

No comments:

Post a Comment