Saturday 23 March 2024

Now, guerrilla hillwalker in the 50th year of my hillwalking career!

Today, I found an illicit (therefore guerrilla) route up the very Private and completely woodland-encircled, Berrow Hill - the 15,387th highest peak in the British Isles.

It is on a remarkable ridge of delightful hills that extend N from the Malvern Hills, above the beautiful Teme Valley.

Berrow Hill is 183 m and has no cairn or anything to celebrate the summit except a very obvious grassy mound for the high point.  To reach it, I was helped by a very robust, fancy-looking, luxury, crossover 6 steps ladder like the somewhat inferior ones found in the Eryri National Park.  I was hindered by a low fence, topped with barbed wire that had to be gingerly stepped over to avoid a sensitive body part!

Its category is Hump and Tump but is NOT a Marilyn as I first thought until Wikipedia put me right, just now.

The hill was officially opened to Berrow Green villagers to mark the Millennium and the King's Coronation - and to me, today, unbeknown to anyone else!  I am now a Hump and Tump trespasser, along with a Munroist and Corbetteer but failed/uncompleted Graham and Donald summiteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment