Tuesday 5 March 2024

The Narrow Road to Net Zero is hard going. More like the broad road to destruction!

Dear Martin - and copied to three other VIPs at the university who have also heard from me in the past!

It was good to meet you last week at the Lunar Society hydrogen meeting.

I expressed my concern that the Magnox Trawsfynydd power station, I thought, only gave electricity for not much over twenty years.  I think you said that you would take a look at what exactly is the record of actual delivery of low carbon electricity from nuclear power stations compared with the weight of greenhouse gases emitted in their many years of construction.

Another academic, Dr Chris Smith on Radio 2 said, on how long wind turbines take to repay their energy use.  Just listen (no reading!) on "environmental stewardship and the life cycle economy" to this from 1:18:15 hours to 1:21.33:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w7mp   AVAILABLE FOR 16 DAYS
"... it's a relatively short period compared with a nuclear power station which is a huge amount of concrete and will take a long time to pay back the carbon and energy embodied cost."  Dr Chris Smith in 'Science Questions' on the Jeremy Vine Show, 20 Feb '24.  Precise comparison is extremely difficult to work out, I should think!

My question I put to you after the meeting was this:
Is the UoB on the road to net zero when, since opening in September 2021, your fine new 'The Exchange' building has had its front doors wide open throughout its opening hours?  I sat at one of the high tables on the ground floor in the first winter and felt the cold air streaming in as I enjoyed my coffee.  Ever since then, I have tried and failed to get the almost universally popular automatic opening and closing doors fitted, as are found for the rear entrance at 'The Exchange'.  This is because it is a Grade 2 listed building and historic buildings conservation must always trump energy conservation and slowing climate disaster.  I believe you said that the building is heated by the city council district heating scheme which is CHP, combined heat and power.  Have I got that right?  Is there anything you can do to stop this wide open door policy to accelerate, so nicely and unnecessarily, the climate emergency?

I also understand that you have debated with Jonathon Porritt over the wisdom and urgency of building more nuclear power stations when my wife and I have demonstrated, over the last ten years, the cheapness and low GHG emissions from PV solar.  Now, we Weller Seniors have achieved this.  Taken from my blog:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/biggest-fossil-fuel-emissions-shipping-plane-manufacturing 

​Since 30.11.23, when the gas meter was taken out, my wife and I have been 100% solar powered or, importing cheap, otherwise wasted(?) night time/early morning electricity into a 14 kWp battery, for our domestic use.  Transitioned over about 18 mths - central heating gone first, then cooking and lastly water to instant electric hot water last October.

Last four week total energy bill in January, including 5% VAT, was £42 for two of us.
                                             February £28  (did include 3 days on a short break)

I would be glad, Martin, if you could summarise - please - your solid support for nuclear electricity and your understanding of why Jonathon is mistaken.

Would you also be so good as to comment on why I am wrong in thinking that both nuclear fusion and CCS feel to me like always winter but never Christmas (CS Lewis)?

Very many thanks and best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment