Sunday 15 August 2021

Mon 13 June to Friday 17 June 2022 at Abercynafon

Dear friends - Mary, Narelle, Alison, Linda; Gordon, Peter, David

I am in a dilemma.  Last week was published the most shocking and frightening report ever from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change out of the many they have written in assessing and summarising the science since their formation in 1988.

I am a worried Weller about my responsibility over the forty years that I have known about the seriousness of human-induced climate change but, have gone along with everyone else in living it up and hoping that the problem would go away.  Now, I think, the chickens are coming home to roost with the disturbed climate patterns and extreme weather events that I remember reading about, from the climate scientists, in the 1980s and 90s - and ever since!

With my car insurance that I took out in December 2020, I have now undertaken to cut my 2021 car mileage by 50% on the 2019 total.  I am on target by cutting my minimum 70 mpg at max 65 mph on 70 mph roads and going to Scotland twice this year instead of six times in 2019.  I am using the car to visit Becky, Tim and Gwennan and either walking or cycling to visit Jonathan, Jayne and Jemima.

We keep to a maximum of 20 C for the room we sit in and lower temperatures in the other rooms and lag ourselves with clothing layers.

I've gone from dairy milk to Oatly milk; had a Vegan breakfast on three occasions on our five-night hotel holiday in Cheshire this year and we are both being powered by plants more than ever!

Our June get together next year

God willing, Covid permitting and depending on your wishes nearer the time, Linda and I are suggesting we still meet up at Abercynafon Farm near Talybont on Usk for the four nights for the price of three.  But I would like to suggest that we do our very best to minimise our use of the cars once we are there, even with car-sharing as we do, anyway.

Linda and I will bring our bikes.  Is there any chance of the rest of you bringing bikes and e-bikes, perhaps?  And then we could explore the local area on foot and on bike!  What do you think?

A more leisurely and retreat-like four days of, in addition, talking and reading.

"Abercynafon Farm Barn is four miles from Talybont-on-Usk with its village shop / cafe, the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal and four pubs (one of them Camra award-winning). Brecon, Crickhowell, Abergavenny and Hay-on-Wye are all within half an hour's drive.

"But you don't have to venture that far. The peaks of the Brecon Beacons, The peaceful Brecon and Monmouthshire Canal and the beautiful Blaen y Glyn waterfalls and Talybont Reservoir are, quite literally, on our doorstep."

I suggest main meals in the pubs but we share out breakfasts and lunches as usual.  Four couples, four breakfast/lunches - Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri.  Four Bible-based thoughts at breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment