Monday 24 August 2020

Thoughts on W Mids Mayoral candidature to warn and inspire hopeful action

The standing for mayor thing is simply to try and raise the importance of all my/our concerns more often, more easily and to get access to the people in power.  It did give me that advantage at the start of the year when I was given a little more access to the top people.  There was one man appointed who actually did reply to my emails and seemed to take my concerns seriously.  But then Covid and lockdown kicked in and all that stopped.  I don't want votes, I'm only campaigning for the things like those in my last email to you for the 'proper' politicians to do the things that seem blindingly obvious to me - but so few others!

It is probably not worth going beyond 'declaring' my candidature and certainly not worth paying the unreturnable, massive deposit, when there may not be hustings and only Zoom meetings.  The Green Party does not want me to stand as an Independent.  I would not stand if only truly wonderful Chris Packham or Jonathon Porritt would do so for the party in the West Midlands.  That is highly unlikely, however!  Porritt has said 'No', anyway.  I've just read his latest book, 'Hope in Hell' - all about this decade to confront the climate emergency, if it ain't too late already, as I think.

The prognosis for humanity is very poor.  Yet, so far, I have been wrong in thinking that by 2020 things would be very much worse than they are.  I was certainly saying, in the 1990s, in the very occasional PowerPoint presentation on, 'Practical Tips on How to Green Up Your Lifestyle', that "we would certainly be in a very much worse state by the end of the next century than we will see at the end of this."

My fossil fuel consumption has plummeted this year by my doing local footpath clearance work and walks to improve waymarking instead of going to the high hills of England, Scotland and Wales.  If people are going to exercise locally instead of bombing off to the mountains (as I did too much of, I know), then the lowland paths, bridleways and footbridges must be open and available.  One good way of cutting greenhouse gas emissions.  I have discovered the Rea valley of south Shropshire - Cleobury country.

Johnson has had far too many holidays, I think, this year.  Do you ever listen to James O'Brien on LBC from Mon to Fri, inclusive and, from 1000 to 1300 hrs?  He is quite devastatingly magnificent on Johnson, Cummings, Williamson and Brexit, in particular!

No comments:

Post a Comment