Sunday 29 April 2012

Only Half Responsible!!

Linda and I would like to welcome you all to the reception and to thank you
for coming.

We would like to welcome Tim to my family, even though he nearly finished
Becky and me off for good with a fancy piece of footwork on one occasion.
We were in the Cuillin Hills ...
That was on our very first day climbing in the Cuillin.  Later, in the
week, he redeemed himself by belaying the three of us as we abseiled off
the Inn Pin.
He is a great outdoors man, like me.  His mum and dad must have named him
after me!!  My love of the great outdoors has rubbed off onto Becky and my
son, Jonathan.
Becky, like husband Tim is a great rock climber and mountaineer but is even
more of a cyclist than young Tim.  She hasn't worked her magic on this Tim
fully as regards cyclo-sportive events but, did on me without wanting to
got me into long distance cycling events that bridesmaid, Charlie got her
into.

So Becky and Tim are well matched.  But, one or two warnings for Tim about
what this young lady gets up to - if he hasn't already sussed her out.

  as a small girl, she had a mischievous streak - my black corduroy cap
  she hid and I never saw it again.  The watch she also smuggled away to
  some hiding place or other she did find, again and so I got that back.
  She would tie grandad's laces together when he was having forty winks.
  So watch out , Tim in your old age!  She would regularly hide her shoes
  to get out of coming home from grandmas.  So if things go missing Tim,
  you know why.  She would hide in the kitchen cupboard with the tins when
  she heard me come home from work.
  Becky was a great explorer - not just hiding but climbing trees, making
  dens and with the other girls of Hunnington Cres banding together into
  the Explorers Club.
  Thanks to Becky's heart for exploration and going on holiday to central
  America, the medical profession in Aber is now much wiser on tropical
  diseases, due to her becoming the unwitting host for a Bot fly larva and
  the resulting baby Bot fly.
  Part of her exploring was to find out why certain ingredients were
  needed in cake making by missing them out.   She missed out eggs and
  they came out like biscuits.  She experimented with food colouring to
  make them look much, much more interesting.  A creative streak, indeed.
  As a result, she is an excellent cook and cake maker.   Good move,
  Becky!
  Such was her exploring tendencies, she found the tiny pond in thick
  cloud below the summit on my favourite mountain in Wales, rather than
  the massive lake fifty feet below the summit that I wanted her to take
  me to.
  On Boxing Day 2010, Becky and I attempted to summit a major 900 metre
  hill in Snowdonia NP.  Despite the deep, soft snow she gallantly, took
  the lead, in trail blazing or, rather floundering on and up through the
  all too rare but truly magical conditions.

Anyway, I am only half responsible for my dghtr turning out like she has.
So only half an apology is due to you, Tim!!  In fact, you are totally
responsible for her now, Tim jnr.  I have finally got her married off to a
truly wonderful, practical, helpful son in law of mine - and a superb
mountaineer.  What an achievement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment