Thursday 19 June 2014

"Remember, all tips are included"

Booking Reference: 0813/23065

"Remember, all tips are included"

At first, I thought how great.  But then, when I saw the age and apparent wealth of the 99% white passengers and compared them with the largely non British born crew, I wondered how fair this was.  On my return from the excellent cruise, I went on the website and saw that you can get a seven night cruise for under £300, if you can go at a moment's notice.  This is far too cheap for the clientele that the crew are serving in kitchen's, cabins and restaurants.  Modern day serving/servitude/slavery?  I do wonder!

I had breakfast last Saturday morning in Compass Rose and saw the large wooden box for us wealthy passengers to give a service charge for ten days of exemplary service.  I put in a ten pound note that, since then, I now feel was too little.  I should have given ten pounds for each of our excellent stewards, Ann and Ida and waiters, Sely and Sheldon.  I would still be delighted to do so if you can guarantee them receiving my tip and give me sort code and account number.

I came back to BBC Radio 4 on Saturday and heard about cheap immigrant labour.  Therefore, were  our delightful Compass Rose waiters and our two cabin stewards, on the UK's minimum wage?  Who qualifies for the minimum wage on Thomson Cruises?

With the ship based in Turkey from next year, does this mean you can keep wages lower for the lower paid crew?

Do all cruise companies operate a no tipping policy to entice the public on board?


Another quick point for feedback for you!

I did feel that your Daily Mail digest each day is not independent or responsible reporting.  Nor does it follow the BBC guidance over impartiality.  I am particularly thinking of the UK biased and sensational reporting of the Prince of Wales comment in likening Putin to Hitler.  Later, Putin's response was restrained and statesmanlike.  In sharp contrast to the misguided, extremist comment from Charles.

Please consider using 'The Independent' for your cruise daily digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment