Tuesday 13 April 2021

Migration Works

Dear Tamsin  (Tamsin Koumis Migration Work CIC)

www.migrationwork.org

I am very happy to join you on Thursday at 5 pm, if you are still inviting me.

I was a declared candidate for the Metro Mayor election until the 8 April when I decided not to become confirmed as an Independent candidate on that date.  I was not prepared to give the government (HMG) £5,000 for the deposit when I knew that I would get so few votes I would lose the money.  I do not want to fund HMG:
  1. over its 40% increase in nuclear warheads;
  2. on over £200 billion going for Trident replacement;
  3. £7 billion for two new aircraft carriers;
  4. over £100 billion for HS2;
  5. for supporting and subsidising sales of armaments to fuel the war in Yemen and its military support to Saudi Arabia;
  6. for £15 billion going to replace buses on roads with "buses on rails" on roads Metro trams in the West Midlands;
  7. the destruction of the 120 Kms Worcester to Derby via the Black Country railway with "buses on rails" on roads Metro trams, a Very Light Rail test track and, extended cycle-walkway.
In addition, I strongly disapprove of HMG's policy of electing rather than selecting, by an open and fair shortlist and interview process, for our Metro Mayor when he has very limited powers and is more of a representative and ambassador for the policies and actions of the W Mids Combined Authority.

I strongly support the importance of registering to vote.  However, I will be voting and recording an abstention on the ballot paper to indicate my protest at an unnecessary election for a public relations Mayor who is virtually powerless and must work with the seven council leaders and not rule over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment