Monday 18 April 2022

John Crace on Johnson

Would he lie to you? Of course he would! Boris Johnson is a stranger to the truth. Take Partygate as one example. First he told parliament no parties had taken place in Downing Street and that he would be furious if there had been. Then that he had not been to any parties personally. Only work events that looked like parties. Now he's been fined for rule-breaking in Downing Street. And guess who made the rules in the first place and was on the TV most nights persuading everyone to obey them?

But would I lie to you? Definitely not! I have become near enough a transcription service in the ongoing Johnson embarrassment of parties, Covid and Brexit. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. Thank God I am not a news reporter trying to make sense of it all.

John Crace
Guardian Columnist

No comments:

Post a Comment