Monday 24 October 2022

That brilliant question and my dreadful diatribe!

Hi

You are so good at engaging and, educating me over fracking, that makes me so glad that we met!

Please forward this to John who asked the great question that so completely floored me.  I would love him to know that he put me on the spot.  However, I need to acknowledge that 200 years of developments in climate science does speak volumes in now finally addressing the poisoned chalice that we have all so thirstily drunk from in discovering the very mixed blessings of oil, gas and coal.

It is probably too late for climate but, just because of coming shortages, we need to urgently cut back on their use, as my wife and I are doing, as here.  It means immediately stopping the rest of the totally unnecessary destruction of the 120 Kms Black Country Railway for a forty-year-old shuttle tram extension to bring even more destruction at Merry Hill.  This very foolish expenditure means that - such is our addiction to, and dependency on, finite fossil fuels - every pound we spend means yet more fossil fuels burnt and gone forever.  And, every pound we spend might be seen as a pound in weight of GHG emissions as they continue their alarming rise.

My talking of seven decades of tram, then train destruction was a perfect case example of how we have worsened our climate problems by our stupidity and, secondly, caused even worse air pollution, road traffic and railway congestion in the West Midlands.  Actually, a triple whammy when you add in the waste and shortages of finite resources!

Is this the final word, now on John's question?  But he is welcome to respond, please!

While writing, I do feel that your brilliant humanitarian work must reflect the changing times we have seen this year that has brought or, will bring, poverty and suffering this winter for low income people in Dudley much more than for my income bracket.  But, I know you are aware of that.

Very best wishes

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment