Thursday 9 March 2023

to Liz Clements

How lovely to hear from you, Liz.  Thanks so much.  Made my day!

Linda and I love travelling on the trams, especially by getting off our no 9 bus and changing for the tram at Edgbaston Village just to have our OAPs free ride on the tram and bus into Brum centre!  I now go by the no 9 bus from Halesowen to get the tram at Edgbaston when I go to Wolverhampton.  A long way round just to have a ride on the smooth, super duper tram.  We've also been on the Nottingham tram and, in my case, the Edinburgh tram, too.

My problem with Metro is what I think is the unjustifiably enormous cost of the thing to build.  Especially, when it is mostly replacing and/or duplicating perfectly good bus and train services.
Especially, when we have inflation and the multiple crises of cost of living, energy and climate.
Especially, when the money could have been and, still can be, better spent on extending concessionary regional public transport travel to every single person who lives in the West Midlands.
Especially, when the bus priority measures are so much more cost effective in bribing car commuters out of their cars and onto buses to free up road space for essential road users.
Especially, when I fear, it is a somewhat wealth-flaunting and flash and highly prestigious transport mode.
Especially, when it buries my vertical guerrilla garden at Merry Hill Shopping Centre, trees, shrubs and the only public open space when the WBHE Phase 2 gets built.
But still highly desirable, I know!

Thanks again for writing, Liz.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment