Wednesday 16 October 2024

Sept/Oct 2024 Scottish expedition

Left on Wed 25 Sept on the afternoon I had loaded up in the morning.  Unheard of for me!

Horrendous congestion on M6 in Cheshire, however, meant I had my first night ever in a Travelodge.  This one at Burton Services, Carnforth that was ony £57 and most helpful three receptionists.  One advised against the £5.50 breakfast box and recommended the fast food outlets.  Went to M&S for excellent breakfast.

The OS have two different places for the car park that is not a car park for Cairnsmore of Fleet hill (a Donald and a Graham).  Summited in the afternoon in wind and cloud and rain.  Cold coming down meant I put on every layer I had with me but the clear footpath was a great help.

Impossible to do the other two summits in those conditions so had to repeat the walk the next day, Friday 27 Sept on a fine, sunny day.  I took the bike up the tarmac road and the forest road.  Left it unlocked but lots of walkers on such a fine day - but, it was still there on return!

I met a 75-year-old who got to the summit but needed a quad bike to get him down after he was having difficulties.  I stood on the very fine motte next to the stoney road as the quad bike with him as rear pillion went steaming past.  I met him again at the car park that is not a car park and had a chat recommending walking poles when it was his balance that he said was the problem.  Then on to Joan and Mike's to Sunday 6 October.

Back home on Friday 11 October, via a night at Westmorland Hotel, then walk to Orton village straight after breakfast before the mainly nearside lane drive home to achieve 86.7 mpg between Carlisle and home.

16 summits visited with 13 left - 9 in the Ochills and 4 in the Galloway Hill.  The 16 reached were 7 in Galloway Hills and 9 in the Lowther Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment