Thursday 8 September 2022

to Cathy Bayton, Chair, Transport Scrutiny, WMCA

Dear Cathy

I am coming down on the bus to your meeting at 10 am to say, in my two minutes, this:

For the first time in my life, I heard a VIP say that "we are running out of gas".  This was on Radio 4's 'Today' programme yesterday morning.  It was Paul Johnson, Director of the Institute of Fiscal Studies.  The other sensible person who speaks truth to power is the consumer champion, Martin Lewis.

I need to say this.  It is also oil and even fresh drinking water, too!  And, never mind the climate emergency/catastrophe that is unfolding before us.

Therefore, you and your committee, in my opinion, need to unanimously tell your colleagues at 16 Summer Lane that they must scrap HS2, Metro and Sprint extensions.  And, I think, we must also immediately stop funding the similarly ecocidal Ukraine War with our armaments and training of their armed forces.

Somehow, our remaining supplies of gas and oil must be used, not for self-defeating nuclear and for warfare but for welfare and for postponing extinction by spending our finite resources on microgeneration solar PV on rooves/roofs (for electricity for the building beneath) and, for onshore and offshore wind turbines.

Best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment