Wednesday 5 April 2023

Written 23 March 2010 on roof and Scotland's expedition

Tue, 23 Mar 2010

Thanks v much for the news.  How are Wayne and Andy getting on with our
roof?  Is there any scaffolding up?  Can you ask Wayne, from me, to ensure
that there will be no condensation problems in the loft, like we have had
in the past.  I think their new breathable felting will prevent
condensation but, do check if you see him, please.  I don't suppose there
has been any contact from Nick of Oxby Warm Air, has there?  He doesn't
want to do the job, unfortunately, after I told him that he wasn't giving
me the confidence that he knew how to repair the Pulse!

A third Corbett yesterday to make 40 out of 220 now summited.  A rest day
today and back to this magnificent hotel for two course lunch before
getting back into position for a fourth summit tomorrow.  Then, I'm heading
south to, possibly, visit Dunottar Castle and, Dundee for the cycleway.

Yesterday was very windy on the 2K summit ridge with the high point at the
very end after four minor summits that had to be climbed and all in a
straight line, so you could never see which one was the highest until you
got to it - rather demoralising!  There was a brief snow shower on the
summit and more rain on the long walk out.  Part of the Gairloch estate
that I walked through had been planted up with native species of Caledonian
pine, downy birch, aspen and holly that were doing well having been fenced
off to stop the deer from eating the young trees.  There were
interpretation boards, too on the archaeology, history and wildlife.  I was
out for 8.5 hrs but kept warm and dry.  Your chicken sandwiches I ate on
Saturday with no ill effects.  Use by 18 March cheese and salad baguette I
ate yesterday and the last, tomorrow on my third and last big walk!

When I got back to the car, my hands were so cold I didn't have the
strength, at first, to turn the key to start the engine.  I then motored
back to Achnasheen and their Rolls Royce public toilets that are heated,
lit as you open the door, have two large washbasins with plenty of hot
water - and, even plugs!

Lots of love

Tim xx

March 2010 Scottish expedition

Sounds like you are enjoying quite a few creature comforts! Hope you had a
good meal. Its
been a lovely warm spring day here with plenty of sun. I walked up to
church, enjoyed my lunch while watching 'Larkrise to Candleford' and then
visited Steve this afternoon. he was not in the best of health- a little
vacant and difficult to keep a conversation going. He looks as though he
has lost some weight too. I suspect he was in pain as he clearly wasn't
comfortable in his chair- it's sometimes so hard to know quite what to say
to him. I was leading the evening service and am now ready for bed and
catching up with Becky on her weekend. She is straight back into cooking
again- banana fairy cakes, delicious! Have a good day's walking tomorrow.
lots of love, Linda x
Subject: March 2010 Scottish expedition
To: dance4joy123@hotmail.comtimweller1@googlemail.com
From: Tim.Weller@birmingham.gov.uk
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:14:53 +0000


Dear Linda

Thanks for the e-mail.  This is also for my mountain blog and to test out
the effectiveness of the city council's 3G experiment for agile workers
like me.  Not that I'm working; just being very agile!  Skip what is of no
interest like the route detail I'll describe, below.

This work laptop with its Vodaphone 3G connection is working remarkably
well, albeit a little slowly.  On Fri eve I had a signal strength of 3 bars
out of 5 but this morning, in front of a hot coal fire in the magnificent
Ledgowen Lodge Hotel, it has gone up to 4 bars.  This is in Achnasheen,
Wester Ross miles from anywhere but probably at 1,000 feet - with its own
rail station, village hall and the most Rolls Royce of public toilets all
in the one building.  I've just had coffee and will have a two course lunch
to justify the warmth and comfort I am enjoying in the hotel that I could
not resist returning to.  Tomorrow, I'll try another two Corbetts a little
further down the road in another 7 to 8 hrs walk and climb.  The weather is
good but very little sun, patches of blue sky and one very brief shower an
hour ago.

Yesterday, Saturday, was cloud over the higher summits to the N but
improving visibility as the day went on.  The previous day, Friday was so
windy that when I lifted the car bonnet to check oil and water, I had to
steady the bonnet to stop it crashing down onto my head - and this was at
sea level in the huge Inverness Tesco car park!

Back to yesterday; I saw no-one else all day; made use of the first class
Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve mountain trail - the like of which I
have never seen before - to get up on to the plateau.  Two booklets and
stone cairns interpret the geology,  natural heritage and wildlife that you
walk through.  My failure to study the map led to a most inappropriate
route up the second Corbett that, too late, I discovered was completely
guarded by crags and scree.  My route took me diagonally up the huge E face
of scree and out on to the summit ridge to the S of the crags above the
scree.  My return took me down the orthodox route through the scree to the
col and, then, a much pleasanter walk over high but level ground to
eventually gain the mountain trail.  Even then, I didn't bother to check
the map and took the longer half of the circuit back to the car park.  The
tendon stood up well and, so far, no limping.

7 family members who own the hotel live here, I've just learnt on the
conducted tour I've had round the rooms on the ground floor.  The house was
finished in 1905; wooden framed, double glazed windows were fitted last
year.  There is a bunkhouse and chalet on the estate.  The bunkhouse is £13
ppp night.  The hotel seems to get well used.

Now for my lunch in the bar!

Love

Tim  xxx





             linda weller
             <dance4joy123@hot
             mail.com>                                                  To
                                       <tim.weller@birmingham.gov.uk>
             20/03/2010 20:59                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: BRIGHT LIGHTS AND A VOICE IN
                                       THE BLACKNESS OF THE NIGHT!

Sounds as though you have had quite a memorable start to your holiday! Hope
your foot is coping with the pace. Been to a Passover dance celebration
this morning at Oasis church 5 ways, then to mum and dads for lunch and to
start clearing out their loft. Made soon good progress amid the thick dust!
Will visit Steve tomorrow afternoon. Hope you get a better night's sleep
tonight. lots of love, Linda xx

> Subject: BRIGHT LIGHTS AND A VOICE IN THE BLACKNESS OF THE NIGHT!
> To: dance4joy123@hotmail.comeatbrazilnuts@hotmail.com;
wellerjon9@hotmail.co.uk
> From: Tim.Weller@birmingham.gov.uk
> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:31:23 +0000
>
>
> 19 March - climbed Ord Hill, N Kessock on the Moray Firth. Iron Age hill
> fort on summit; then onto the cluster of dwellings, a village pond and a
> rail station that doubles up as the village hall! This was the mighty
> hamlet of Achnasheen with its fine public toilets and 2 or 3 Kw fan
heater
> that was blasting out the heat that I promptly switched off! Earlier,
> visited fine hotel in Birnam nr Dunkeld of 'Macbeth' fame for coffee,
then
> wash and shave after a night sleeping in the car. A sleep that was
> interrupted by a bright light shining all about me like a Damascene
> conversion. It was two eager young policemen with their torches.
> "What's your name and where are you from?"
> "Tim Weller from Halesowen in the West Midlands", satisfied them. "I'm
> just having a night's sleep on my way north for some hill walking and
> cycling. You know that you have signs on the main road saying, 'Tiredness
> kills. Take a break'?
> "Have you been drinking?", said the one.
> "Certainly not", I retorted indignantly. "You're remarkably conscientious
> in checking parked cars."
> "Yours was reported as possibly abandoned" came the reply.
> "Sorry to disturb you", one said on leaving.
> A public spirited motorist had rung the police, would you believe! I had
> parked in a country lane about 25 metres from the A9 trunk road, late
> yesterday evening. No sooner had I arrived, than the first or second of
> only four or five cars that passed me all night phoned the police!

No comments:

Post a Comment