I love trams and always use them rather than buses. The first idiocy by our politicians and transport experts was to destroy the lot of them, apart from Blackpool and up Snaefell hill in the Isle of Man. They then replaced them with a cocktail of poisonous gases from diesel buses and started selling off railway lines for buildings and roads, instead of mothballing them for future railway use to reduce road and railway congestion. How shortsighted. How stupid was that?
Monday, 20 July 2026
to David G
Next, in the 80s in Manchester, trams replaced trains and buses at the most colossal expense, when that money could have been better spent. More of the railway network lost for multi-modal transport to make for more changes. Money for regional Fare-Free Public Transport for every single person from the cradle to the grave and, to entice car commuters out of their tin boxes!
Over one billion to destroy 10 Kms of the principal mainline railway. Scandalous expense for doing the wrong thing. BUT the tram was sold to us as needing to be built to get the full 56 Kms between Stourbridge Jct and Burton on Trent reopened. Trams to get trains. How stupid is that?
Have you read what I sent you today, David? Have you read anything I have sent you over the years?
Midlands Connect has always fully supported Metro trams and their expansion. The £15 billion for 150 miles, 8 lines and 380 tram stops by 2040 has not been cancelled, David. Or, what have you heard? Am I wrong?
All the best and keep in touch. Please try and get Railfuture to fight for trains on freight only or unused, still not built on railway lines. I've been doing their work over the last 40 years in opposing Metro on mainline railways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment