Tuesday 8 February 2022

Windfall tax for oil/gas/coal companies

I heard Tessa of Uplift speak on the Jeremy Vine Show and she was extremely good.  Would you mind putting in writing the arguments for taxing the oil/gas companies, please?  I would like to make use of them myself, especially to my MP, James Morris!

What were the arguments for the 2011 windfall tax, mentioned by Tessa?

Tessa said as prices rise, profits do too.  Therefore, some of the profits must go to insulating and providing solar PV for the homes on the lowest income to make them less dependent on fossil fuels.

Can there not be a sliding scale, of some kind, where rising profits are used to offset rising prices?

Should the BPs and Shells of this world be taxed after making 5% or 10% profit each year?
What tax do they pay now?
Please explain how we pay more tax to them than they pay to the Exchequer, I think Tessa said.
Do you support a Sovereign Wealth Fund, as Norway has?

For me, one telling argument is that we must immediately move from exploring and then exploiting new gas/oil fields and turn, instead to using that money to invest in having every building as a mini power station like my modest home is - exporting 85% of the electricity that I generate, for others to use.  I use only 15% myself but that must grow as I move out of gas to more self-generated electricity.  The oil and gas companies must quickly move from finite fossil fuels to sustainable, its all we've got, solar/wind/tidal/hydro.

I have been to look for them on your website.

Many thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment