Thursday 28 December 2023

How we got rid of gas to arrive at 100% electricity

Thanks so much for your Christmas card​ and personally written news.  Good to read and lovely to hear from you.

I am horrified by the spread of war - now to the Middle East as well as eastern Europe/Russia and our own ecocidal behaviour from economic/population growth instead of ecological growth and sustainability.  My blog, timweller1.blogspot.com reveals more of my outrageous opinions​, concerns​ and my jaundiced/sad interpretation of human history.  Don't read it!

​I have changed my opinion on batteries to complement solar PV.  Our Nov 2021, 14.4 kWp set of batteries is working well to import Octopus (transferred in April 2022) Agile tariff in the early hours of the morning when electricity is very cheap and charges up the battery to make for enough electricity to last throughout the day.  In October we completed our transition from gas to 100% electricity and our total energy bill, last week was £50.85 for four weeks, 22 Nov to 21 Dec.  The house is a mini power station to power the UK in the summer months, instead of massive power stations feeding the grid.

In March 2022 we stopped using the gas-fired central heating and now use only Herschel infrared portable electric heaters.  We next got rid of the old gas cooker and bought an inductive electric cooker.  Finally, from gas water heating to instant electric water heaters.  Expensive to do but I used my lifetime savings from 48 years in the one house (thanks for your help in decorating in the 70s - do you remember how you were so brilliant in helping me?!)  The gas meter was taken out for free, by Octopus, on 30 Nov 2023.

Love and best wishes to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment