Thursday 20 May 2021

Dudley Castle Hill Tunnel

The tunnel had two tracks, as a mainline railway, on the three occasions I walked through it!  The first was in the 1990s, in a small FoE protest, to raise awareness of the neglect and to highlight its importance.  Railtrack (or its equivalence - BR?) saw the newspaper report of what we were planning to do and insisted that we must have a delegation of two of their men from Railtrack/BR!  We all trooped through the 800 metres and back again.  It did not make the slightest difference, of course!

The 90s was the decade that the Round Oak signal box was left unlocked and my young son and I went up the outside steps into the room with all the great levers.  Shortly afterwards, I returned and saw that it had been razed to the ground in a fire!  I complained/commented to a man from the railways at Centro House at the close of a meeting.  He knew and shrugged his shoulders, as if he didn't care.  No one does!

No comments:

Post a Comment