Monday 1 March 2021

to Tim Baggs, Communication Manager, RCN

 Dear Tim


Thanks very much for your email.  I am anxious to take part, online but, I ought to make clear that I may not go through to the bitter end as a confirmed candidate because I am not wanting to spread Covid.

I am a declared Independent candidate to instil some urgency into how changes in transport, jobs and housing policy can reduce the impact of human climate breakdown and postpone Attenborough's "collapse of civilisations" and "extinction of much of the natural world" and "time is running out" warnings (at COP 24, December 2018 - over two years ago!).


My manifesto is for more sensible, cost-effective and easier ways to reduce congestion and pollution.  Fareless, electric buses for ALL; not only for the few, like me!  To free up road space for essential users.  Paid for by abandoning Metro, diesel Sprint and Clean Air Zone.  Called, Regional Fare-Free Public Transport for ALL that I have had for 13 years!


My manifesto is for a considerable income hike for all NHS and care workers receiving wages and a lesser rise for those in receipt of monthly salaries paying the basic rate of income tax, only.  Pay freeze for the wealthy rest.


I am Covid conscious and I am not at all keen to knock on doors to get the 105 signatures on my nomination form to become a confirmed candidate.  If I refrain from putting others and myself at risk of transmission, I will give my £5,000 deposit (that I am bound to lose) to the Disasters Emergency Committee and/or other humanitarian agency.  But I am still anxious to take part in Zoom hustings!


I am also unhappy that election workers on the 6/7 May are risking the spread of infection for a Mayor with no "official powers", as Andy Street volunteered in a BBC 'Today' interview that I heard shortly after his election in May 2017.  In addition, he has no more influence than you or I with our ability to write and speak with the real decision-makers at 16 Summer Lane that is the HQ of the WMCA, of TfWM and of the national tram promotion group, UK Tram.


The real power lies entirely with the seven leaders of the seven West Midlands district councils.  And, they themselves, seem to be largely swayed by the top officers of the seven authorities who decide on policy and practice.  In addition, the seven council leaders never have debates and votes on transport policy that is committing them all to spending £15 BILLION to 2040 for mainly underground and overground "bus on rails" trams to replace buses (directly on roads) and some trains.  The Metro Mayor is the Chair of the WMCA Board but has no power.  All seven leaders and Andy are rubber stamps, to confirm what the top officers want.  The elected 'leaders' don't seem to be able to think for themselves or to act on their declarations of a climate emergency.  It is a classic case of the blind leading the blind, in my opinion.  I expect that none of them have even heard of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, let alone read them.  They had not even realised there was an unfinished, half used, mainline 120 Kms railway "of national strategic significance" through the heart of the Black Country!


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_Development_Goals


The longstanding and respected journalist, Jonathan Walker on the Birmingham Post, describes the Metro Mayor as "the figurehead" of the WMCA.  Jonathan is exactly right.  Andy is an excellent public relations man and he is a great guy. I  voted for him in 2017 and will again, this time as my second choice.


However, I am still anxious to take part in all the Zoom hustings to exert a little influence!  Therefore, I would be glad if you still felt able to invite me - please!


I can make any date and time.  Preferably sooner rather than later because of signed nomination papers having to be in by an unknown date.


Best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment