Friday 16 July 2021

Disability issues

Thanks very much for this very authoritative and helpful contribution from the three of you - Sandra, Bob and Tarsam.  Tarsam's piece is alarming but hits the nail on the head.  Thanks to all of you.

To what extent do the three of you consider that you have "Community Based Independent and Supported Living" now?  Or, not at all?

Is the correct progression: self-care, family care, community care with independent and supported living, hospital at home care, palliative care?

What do you understand as "the crisis within Social Care", Sandra and Bob?
Presumably, you don't mean the Dilnot Commission proposals, that I immediately think of?
However, do you support his proposals?
Do you want free personal care for all in England?
From all those with the ability to pay, to all those in need?

We have, "What is required is a radical transformative approach."  However, having read every word more than once, I am still not clear what exactly that means, for me, if I was still working as a social worker.  What, exactly, should I have done differently?  I seem to remember we had an Independent Living Fund that we could apply to.

Sandra and Bob are quoting, I think, when they write:  "there is an urgent need to promote a Human Rights perspective on Independent Living to both disabled and non-disabled people".
and,
What is your "understanding of disabled people’s perspective on Independent Living", Sandra and Bob and Tarsam?

On my garage wall, I have stuck up the UN's 'Universal Declaration of Human Rights' from the N Ireland Human Rights Commission.  30 articles that I did read, at the time.  All brilliant stuff, I'm sure.  I must re-read them before our meeting!  

How can social workers, as I was for 35 years, improve their practice in the light of all that you both want?

What are "Neoliberal social policies" and was I guilty of practising them as a local authority social worker?
What are your experiences of social workers?  How should they change?

Is there a country with the best model of social care that we could learn from?
Which country has the best health service?

Best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment