Friday 18 March 2022

to Stuart Croft of national FoE

Dear Stuart - and copied to Chris Crean and other VIP FoE members

Thanks very much for your reply.  Your:

​"Things we can do to reduce greenhouse gases​"​

is excellent.  From https://policy.friendsoftheearth.uk/policy-positions/reducing-greenhouse-gases-our-position
And, I am promoting it to my own council, Dudley MBC in the Open Forum agenda item for the public to have their say at some committee meetings.

I want to emphasise the importance of solar PV for energy independence that FoE really should be promoting, urgently, in the light of humanity's latest war on itself and the ongoing war on nature and finite resources.

I wrote this to a friend:-
"Thanks to solar PV, we are now able to get out of gas almost completely.  Like you, we have gone to electric space heating with Herschel infrared panels for warmth and, for me but not my wife, boiling up water for washing!  (Herschel gives us our "low carbon electric eco-heating"  - from your website, above.)

"Solar PV is so much more useful, it seems to me than going for heat pumps.  You then have to live within PV's capacity to deliver electricity, however.  But it does mean that every home, office, factory is turned into a mini power station to supply power to the people under the roof.  A lovely concept!"

I have just worked out that over the last 8 years of having PV, I've averaged electricity generation of 4.7 MWh/year.  Having very nearly stopped using gas, I'm now exporting much less for others to use, of course.  

Every roof must be a mini power station.

Best wishes and thanks again for writing, Stuart.

No comments:

Post a Comment