Thursday 23 June 2022

from David Sheppard

Tim I was hoping to meet up with you to try to listen and understand. But instead you are trying to bounce me into supporting something that I have doubts about. Firstly the track bed is required for heavy rail Goods traffic between Stour Jun and Road Oak Rail. Secondly I don’t think your description of the man made bank stands any kind of scrutiny. What is the problem of providing public transport for One of the most deprived Wards in Dudley I’m not happy that you won’t compromise or seem to not recognise the rights of poorer people to decent exciting public transport ?

Sorry, David.  I don't want to put any pressure on you, at all.

I think you do know that I have, over the years, since the 1990s asked for the freight, commuter and regional trains to be returned to the Stourbridge to Walsall railway line.  Then, around 2000 I was told that it continued beyond Walsall to Burton on Trent.  I was amazed.  But how true.  The full 56 Kms between Stourbridge and Burton on Trent is safeguarded/mothballed and even three people I spoke to on the cycle-walkway on the section between Walsall and Brownhills, realise it will have to have its trains and stations returned one day!

However, despite my reminders to you good LibDems that I was still around, I received not a single request to tell you more!  Now, without your involvement, Dudley railway station has been turned into Dudley Castle Hill Tram Stop!  Even worse, the BCIMO HQ is built on the site.

Having successfully failed over decades, my last ditch stand is to try and save the 400 metre, Dudley No 1 Canal embankment from being converted into a major, standard gauge, double track railway/tram, concrete and steel viaduct, stretching for nearly a quarter of a mile!  It will ruin the view for the boaters and towpath walkers across to the Netherton and Clent Hills and help to ruin the prospects of our descendants too, of course, in the light of the climate/nature/ecological/cost of living crises.

Please still meet me, David at your earliest convenience where Level Street crosses the towpath.  I will fit in with you.

All the best

No comments:

Post a Comment