Wednesday 25 January 2023

29 Donegal Road, Bristol

Dear Autumn and Tom

I am so sorry but I am getting increasingly concerned about the welfare of the family at 29 Donegal Road.

I am a retired welfare officer and family social worker who is very concerned that many poorer families are struggling with paying food and energy bills in this cold winter of multiple crises.  On no account must my £25,000 be used to put any pressure on them to move out.

The nation is in an increasing housing crisis with, probably, more children and parents becoming badly housed as every year passes.

From their latest figures, the ONS told us that a million people came to the UK and half a million left.  A net gain of half a million, plus in one year, 44,000 desperate, small boat migrants - now living in hotels, boarding houses and, goodness knows where else.  This is really serious.  We all have a responsibility to live in our existing homes and not to take more than our fair share of land, housing and finite resources.  My wife and I live in a solar powered, mid-terrace, 3 storey town house - since 1976 in my case.

With the cost of living crisis and the climate  emergency, I think everyone's top priority must be to insulate and solar power their homes to save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  And, to tread more lightly, to live more humbly and less grandly on the planet.

Tom can use my £25,000 to retrofit and solar power 29 Donegal Road if he becomes the much better landlord than the current one.  But, certainly, not to put pressure on the family to move out against their will - and, perhaps, to even add to the shockingly bad homeless/badly housed UK statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment