Thursday 16 December 2021

Merry Hill monorail replaced by tramway to destroy the UK's most important SW/NE railway!

Many thanks, Christine for your concern and support.

You mentioned the 90s monorail last night at Merry Hill.  It was opened, I believe, in 1990 and closed in 1993 when Centro was working on the Metro tramway to be built on the former, principal, mainline railway at the Waterfront, next to Merry Hill.  This is the railway that runs through Stourbridge and is called by the Dept for Transport, "of national strategic significance" (letter to me, dated 8 March 2018).

Now, after 40 years of hard work, our nationally important railway is finally being destroyed for the shuttle tramline between Merry Hill and Dudley town centre, with utility works starting on the 17 January.

Would you feel able please to approach your own MP, Suzanne Webb, to get an appointment to explain this to her?  Or, simply to read out what I have written here?  I could accompany you, if you wish.  Below, is the photo of 6 glorious white trees, exactly where the "bus on rails" tram will go on the concrete viaduct built on the embankment.  I would prefer it be raised on stilts above the water of the canal to preserve the grassy embankment and the trees.  And, to keep it well away from my landscape enhancement scheme!

But I do need Suzanne's help!

Many thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment