Saturday 5 December 2020

100 'Summit' magazines

Dear Editor Pete, Alex and Sarah

Spectacular photos, great design and amazing content for #100.  THANKS SO MUCH!

At 72 years and a visitor, at least once, to over 700 SMC summits over 2,500 feet and going for a clean slate of every Graham and Donald by the time I'm 80, I finally joined the BMC in September.

The two-page epic campsite photo from Jethro Kiernan was magnificent.  Are you allowed to tell me, just me, the more exact location, please?  I just cannot figure it out!  Or, just a clue would help.

As part of our excellent Climate Project, are you able to encourage fading (past their prime) hill walkers like me to explore more local and regional but lower hills?  This year, because of Covid, I've had a great time exploring the countryside on my doorstep and on the Worcestershire/Shropshire border, nearby.  Great new, desolate open space that has been such a change from the big hills of Snowdonia, England and Scotland.

Part of the Climate Project because, I think, we all have to set our sights lower and cut back on the greenhouse enhancing travelling.  Last year, at 16 years, Greta Thunberg sailed in a spartan, cut down to the basics, racing yacht across the Atlantic to America, both ways.  Has a mountaineer ever done that for a long expedition in the high mountains of the world?

If not, who will be the first from the UK?  Can 'Summit' ask and challenge a member to try the Greta fossil-fuel-free way to travel?  Who sails round the coast to then climb instead of motoring or flying?  I'm now cutting back on my car mileage (and better mpg) and, when I use the car, parking further away to then pedal furiously to start the big walk!

All this, because there is danger ahead from serious shortages of essential resources, quite apart from changing climates to give an uncomfortable, bumpy ride ahead for humanity.

Thanks again for a great read.

Tim Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment