Tuesday 16 November 2021

System Change and Climate Change

Dear Stuart

It was brilliant to hear you say that you have PV and don't have a car.  You're a better man than me and, have been a brilliant campaigner - I'm sure all your life.  In using solar and not car we are divesting from fossil fuels and cutting the profits of the fossil fuel industry.  VERY SATISFYING!

I've also been working for change for 40 years, since about 1980 when I saw a BBC 'Tomorrow's World' programme that, if I remember correctly, said that there were 200 greenhouse gases to make for climate change.

My own system change to reduce climate change:

The 80s and 90s saw two roads schemes that I worked hard to oppose: 16 Km KBH and the 87 Kms WOM.  The 90s and onwards has seen me asking that trains be returned to the Snow Hill to Wolverhampton Low Level Station.  But the "solution looking for a problem" and "bus on rails" tram line was done instead.  Just as is happening with the 120 Kms Black Country Mainline between Derby, Dudley and Devon.  Trams are going on two short, nibble-sized (officially "bite-sized") chunks totalling 6.7 Kms.  But there is still 49 Kms left for commuter and regional trains.  What do you think, Stuart?

Do I have your support over cutting GHG emissions by putting trains, instead of trams, on our mothballed or freight-only railways in the Black Country and Brum?  106 Kms, including the railway used as a cycle-walkway between Walsall and Lichfield when every motorway, road and canal crossing is in place for trains.

Switzerland electrified their railway network in the 1920/30s. The UK is nowhere near finishing after 70 years of trying and, certainly the Black Country, thinking that roads, trams and every building imaginable were meant to run along railway lines. Complete incompetence by everyone in the railway sector!

Stuart, do I have your invaluable support over opposing the £15 billion of GHG emissions for underground and overground tram extensions that Andy wants?  If so, why please?

Your wonderful eloquence and outspoken nature is a huge asset to all of us.  Did you get to speak at the climate rally on the 6th Nov?

Could I have the email address for Martin Lynch, please?  I'm desperate to win over the unions.  My really big FAIL!

All the best

Tim

PS I love your banners, behind you, on Zoom calls.  Absolutely brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment