Friday 5 November 2021

to George Riches

Thanks so much, George.  Yes it does, indeed.  But HS2 is way over £100 BILLION in cost and similar in weight of deadly greenhouse gases.  When opened, it is unlikely that we will see an appreciable reduction in plane travel as flyers shift to HS2.  Some reduction, certainly, I hope.  HS2 simply encourages more long-distance travel when we all have to cut back, massively.  I've cut my car mileage by 50% on my 2019 mileage, keep to 60 to 65 mph on 70 mph roads and get well over 70 mpg.  And I still feel guilty - rightly so.  Linda and I are cycling to Brum city centre tomorrow on 6 miles of blessed, traffic-free, cycle-walkway out of 8 miles.

Why concrete, brick and tarmac yet more of nature to give a very small minority the choice of either plane or train?  They should not be flying at all and should not be using HS2.  Don't we all have to minimise ALL travel, ALL spending, ALL energy use and even renewables to leave more resources for future generations?  I feel I am stealing from my 2 children and 2 grandchildren every time I even turn on the cold tap, let alone the hot!  I am truly sorry for the mess I have made for them.  But, I'm not yet going to live, just yet, like a complete hermit - just a complete idiot!    Tim

ON THE PETITION DEBATE, last night:

Wonderful Chris Packham could not have spoken a truer word. It makes all our problems worse, intensifies the climate emergency and shouts the lie that it will reduce overcrowding, increasing capacity when it rockets past every intercity station, duplicating plane travel. That is the lie.

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisGPackham/videos/4075923782529709/

It cannot help in lessening the destruction of nature when it is such a heavy-footed and greenhouse gases intensive way of making all our problems worse and speeding us to THE END. HIGH SPEED TO FOUR TERMINUSES.  Humans are on track to terminate themselves faster!!

No comments:

Post a Comment