Dear David (Hewlett)
Very many thanks for sending me your piece. I love writing, too much, as you see below so please ignore/delete what is of no interest!
Yours is a quite proper, ethical and ingenious interpretation of the parable. However, is it really the kind of parable that someone like Jesus or St Francis of Assisi would have told? And what is the significance of it being placed immediately before the death of Christ, unless it is all to do with his Return. Yet, the teaching has nothing to do with the Second Coming, it seems to me. My wife, who is one of the three leaders of our church, says it is all to do with Jesus' Return. But I don't get it!
On the face of it, the parable is a strange one for Jesus to tell when all the rest of His teaching is exactly in line with what you are teaching from it, viz: money is a fat lot of use once life support systems are so wrecked from human exploitation and greed they cannot support life on earth.
I also want our faith leaders to be as brave as me in denouncing what I see as sheer greedy wickedness. The UK is one of the top five or six wealthy nations in the world out of nearly 200. We are so close to the USA we cannot distance ourselves from them to become more like non-aligned Switzerland or the ROI which is wonderfully standing up to that despicable, very wicked pariah and rogue State of Israel. Fully backed by America and 90% fully supported by Labour, LibDem and Tory governments in our own land.
There is more greed with our wealth being misused on yet more modes of transport to complicate and slow a public transport journey - six or seven rail modes and three or four bus modes I have now recorded!
My ancient 'Lion Handbook to the Bible' (first published in 1973) says, as you have, "the talent was a large amount of money" and "Our future depends on how we use what we have been given in this life." Therefore, fair enough for Jesus to say this at the end of his own life.
What we have been given in this life are vast reserves of finite fossil fuels which took 350 million years to be formed and which gives the top rich nations untold wealth. In our folly and hubris, we are ripping through the lot in less than 500 years of burning to change the chemical composition of the atmosphere for the worse.
I am disappointed by my faith leaders who seem unable to stand up to clear wrong doing in our transport policy as I have recorded here:
No comments:
Post a Comment