Wednesday 8 May 2024

ACCESS PROBLEMS for walkers in the Borders

Thanks, Paul for your help and support.  What I have uncovered is simply not good enough.  Please copy me in when you write to Mountaineering Scotland.

SUMMARY of two issues I've come across from my April expedition to the Southern Uplands.  Further details lower down.

Dirt car racing is taking place while walkers are using the forest roads to gain the high ridge of the 2,000 feet hills, called the Rhinns of Kells, in the Galloway Forest Park.

I'm also concerned about the stalking season being extended, it seems, to 365 days a year to keep mountain walkers like me away from the big hills of the Southern Uplands.  Moorbrock Estate is a case in point in the Carsphairn Hills in Dumfries and Galloway.

Below, Moorbrock Estate NOTICE at the only access point that the estate wants walkers to use, from Craigengillan (OS Grid RefNX 63700 9474).  I was not meant to use the main drive entrance, I discovered on the next day!:

"Shooting Today. Walkers are warned to keep away"

It was a very permanent-looking, strong notice well screwed into the substantial, narrow gate in the high deer fence.  It iobviously in place 365 days a year!

Dirt car racing is taking place while walkers are using the forest roads to gain the high ridge of the 2,000 feet hills above in the Galloway Forest Park.

I'm also concerned about the stalking season being extended, it seems, to 365 days a year to keep mountain walkers like me away from the big hills of the Southern Uplands.  Moorbrock Estate is a case in point in the Carsphairn Hills in Dumfries and Galloway.

No comments:

Post a Comment