Monday 20 May 2024

Group members must show solidarity with one another

I am very happy to be corrected, to accept censure and, in future, to get the group member's permission first before quoting from his/her email.

To clarify further:  I 'owned' Richard's email only to the extent of agreeing with it as I made plain in my additions of trenchant support.  Every member of the group has the right to do that in solidarity with that member of the group.  It is, after all, good group dynamics.  And, I made it very plain that I was not deceiving any reader into thinking that I was the author of Richard's email.  I would love other members of the group to show similar solidarity - even with what I have written!  Do send off my stuff, without my permission, as long as I am not defamed through changing something I wrote and passing it off as though it came from me!  It was Bob who wrote, I believe, our Ten Action Points.  I have sent them off digitally countless times and, I have spent much money printing off hundreds as A4 sheets and handing them out to 72 Dudley councillors and, at WMCA committee and board meetings and, to many other cllrs and officers.  There have been no repercussions from Bob or anyone else in my doing that, has there?


To put that in a different way:-

For me, if anyone was to take my emails and to endorse them as solidly as I have done with Richard's writing, I would be absolutely thrilled.  I would be delighted to be quoted and supported, although authors must always quote their sources.  But, I believe, authors never have to get permission from them as long as acknowledgement is made, the quote is accurate and there is no plagiarism.  Therefore, I did not take Richard's email and give the reader the impression that it was I who had written it.  Is that true, Christine?


PLEASE SEND THIS OFF (see below) - and change anything you like in it.  As long as you don't pass it off as coming from me.  Only from yourself, to avoid a possible charge of defamation from me!!!


All the best


Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment